NORTH WESTERN PHILLUMENISTS
Bryant and May's Mersey Works
For the early part of the story of this factory please see Maguire Miller & Co.
February 12th 1923
Transfer from Maguire, Paterson and Palmer.
August 13th 1927
Formation of British Match Corporation.
Opening of new bowling green, and new factory sign.
Match Control Board set up.
Match Control Board ceases
Monopolies report on the UK match industry
End of supply restrictions
Leeds factory closes, production transferred to Mersey Works
Printing 4 million skillets, 300 000 dozen wrappers and 20 000 gross wrappers per week
Formation of Wilkinson Match
Bookmatch production transferred from Canada to Mersey Works
Swan centenary – originally introduced by Collards
3.5 million pounds invested in the factory. New box designs. Only UK wooden match factory, making 36 billion matches per year.
Taken over by Swedish Match
Refurbishment of offices
Monopolies and mergers report on matches and disposable lighters.
13th January 1994
Notice of factory closure announced.
December 21st 1994
Factory now a film studio.
The name of Bryant and May no longer exists, their products mean that their name lives on with those who produced them.
Copyright © 2005-08 North Western Phillumenists. All rights reserved. - Page updated: 09/12/08